School of Santuary
Schools of Sanctuary is a national network of over 300 primary and secondary schools all committed to creating a culture of welcome and inclusion for refugees and asylum seekers.
Coltishall Primary School is incredibly proud to be a School of Sanctuary. We are committed to being a safe and welcoming place to everybody.
To date, we are proud of everything we have achieved in our journey so far including:
- Our creation of a welcome card to welcome a group of over 80 asylum seekers who were moved into temporary accommodation in Badersfield.
- Our annual celebration, ‘A Day of Welcome’ held on the Friday before Refugee Week in June.
- Our purposeful curriculum links to refugee and asyulum seeker issues including No Ballet Shoes in Syria in Year 6 and Paddington Bear in Year 1.
- Participating in the Nest Project in which schools and asylum seeker groups worked together to create a big nest of leaves. This was displayed at the forum.
- Being involved in local, community projects to spread the message of welcome/solidarity including creating a Ukraine flag.
- Specific fundraising events including our orienteering day in May to raise awareness and funds for the current crisis in Ukraine.